Teaching from My Trunk... and the best dollar I've spent all year!

Welcome to Teaching from My Trunk! 

This is a blog all about efficient strategies for teachers of the Deaf/hard of hearing. Many of us are itinerant teachers, traveling between campuses, and therefore, we have to keep many of our materials in our cars. It is critical that we are efficient with the materials that we choose so that... 
1) our trunks and cars don't look like a hot mess all the time. This makes my neat-freak husband happy... but it it also helps me have more calm in my mind!
2) our backs will thank us! When I carry too much stuff, my bag starts accumulating more and more and my back and shoulder starts to get a little upset. Being more efficient means less unnecessary materials.
3) we can waste less time searching for a game or activity to meet the need of one skill for one student. If we have materials that are versatile, hopefully we can spend less time digging through our trunks and have more time for teaching... and paperwork? :)

My first versatile tool is...
JUMPING FROGS!
Just to be clear... I put those frogs in the pond by hand... #cheater

I know I am not the first therapist or teacher to discover the joys of jumping frogs... However, I have been amazed by how much my students have loved adding to our sessions. I came across it at the Dollar Tree, and I was SO excited. I use it in a couple of ways:

I will use it as a way to earn iPad time for a reward. Every time they get a question/task correct, they get to jump a frog (I've been giving them two tries because I'm a softie). At the end of our task, however many frogs they got in the pond tells how many minutes (or how many half-minutes depending on the length of our session) they get on the iPad. They can choose to watch a video/story or play one of our games (my iPad options are very limited!). This is especially great for the more "boring" data collection days!

When students are working on a target skill that involves choices, I can put a different color frog on the pictures for each choice. If they make the right choice, they get to take the frog and try to jump it in the pond!

Sometimes, the frog themselves can be a reward! If they complete a task, they get x amount of frogs to jump. My littlest friends are especially motivated by the frogs themselves. 


Do you have any other ideas for versatile games/tools that can be used as motivation for tasks during a session? 

Now... enjoy some images where I was trying to get the frog in the pond, but I gave up. :)


Until next time...

Comments

  1. Who doesn't love jumping frogs? Your passion and creativity are obvious. I am sure your students always look forward to your arrival at their school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I hope they do... I think the jumping frogs definitely gave me some cool points with some little friends :)

      Delete
    2. Love this idea for motivating students to learn! Like Theresa said, you clearly have a passion! Keep up the hard work and creativity and I'm sure it will pay off. You are awesome!!

      Delete
  2. I like the #cheater that you put, that makes me chuckle. Do you have one of those trunk organizers? Those things are AWESOME! I would be a hot mess if I had to go between schools. I would also be 100 pounds heavier from fast food. Is that a struggle to want to drive thru for convenience or do you plan ahead? I bet that would be a good post to share about. Your blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't have a trunk organizer, but I sell Thirty-One, so I have about a million utility totes and cubes and such to help with organization. Drive thrus are a definite temptation.. that would be a very relevant topic to post about!!

      Delete
  3. Lauren, this is completely adorable. Even my high schoolers love little games like this. And, yes, my trunk...

    Also, I think we are linked on Facebook through Teresa Stone? She shared your lettering business and I recognize your logo on this page. Lovely lettering! - Janis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha good to know I can keep it around as my littles get to be a little bigger!

      And YES! I sell my lettering at the market at Rustic Chic interiors on the first Saturday of the month where her bakery is set up. Her girls are my painting buddies during the markets!

      Delete
  4. I love your site design. The first think I did was scroll to the bottom to see who you were hosting with. What a great name! Your blogs are very inspirational. I hope this is one of the sites you consider keeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely plan on keeping it! I already have my next blog idea... may be posted before class tomorrow if I get some free time!

      Delete

Post a Comment